Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh Brother

Well, if nothing else, this attempt is going to save me money. Yesterday I went shopping for clothes. I tore through the racks, hunting down any clothing that was not made in China. I found a handful of things (albeit, only one thing that was made in the U.S. and that thing not the least bit attractive on me) and went to try them on. Lo and behold, a marvelous skirt. Only I had to put it back. China. Made in China. Argh.

I left the store and went to Trader Joe's Grocery Store. Its a healthy food store, lots of organic and natural foods. I anticipated that purchasing local would be much easier here, than say, in Giant Eagle. Stop one, Fruit snacks my sister told me about. High in fiber, low in fat. Made in New Zealand. Back to the shelf it went. Stop two: Cheese for the pizza I would make that night. Imported from Italy. Stop Three: Tomatoes for the pizza. Imported from Mexico. How about sundried tomatoes? Imported from Turkey.
I left with a much smaller amount of food than I wanted. But with a lot more frustration than I anticipated.

It is not easy to find things made locally, or even just in the U.S. This job I have set for myself is going to require more work and cleverness than I had anticipated. So why I am I doing it? I'm saving the world, people, one piece of returned clothing at a time.

2 comments:

Kevin and Amy said...

Well I can understand not buying from China...but this no-imported-food thing sounds TOUGH. Very tough.

You have my full support and admiration, Dog, this is quite a venture. If anyone can do it, it is you.

But seriously...what's so bad about imported food? Is it the transportation costs you're trying to avoid? Because a lot of domestic food is cultivated by illegal immigrants which gets us into a whole different issue.

There will always be something, it seems. But in the meantime I have nothing but deep respect for your endeavor. Watch out, world, the Dog is on the scene!

(Also, I love the aesthetics of your blog...great colors, great look, and great picture of my favorite Dog.)

Kevin and Amy said...

Oooh! As I was reading about Local Harvest, a new website went up on your blog! This is so much fun!

Dog, I'm totally shopping at the Baltimore Natural Buying Club before your visit in May.

Great ideas!