Thursday, March 13, 2008

Can I do it? Let the game begin.

Can I live locally? By this I mean, can I live a year purchasing only local foods and products that are not made in China? I choose China because, let's face it, alot of the stuff we buy is made there. Turn over your vegetable peeler, look on the tag of your favorite t-shirt, read the back of that new baby toy you just bought. More likely than not, it says "Made in China." I have nothing against China, and in fact hope to visit one day, but I do find it aggravating that so many of the things we use each day are made overseas. Recently, it took me three stores to find a baby outfit that was not made in China -- it was made in Indonesia, which I grant wasted a lot of fossil fuel getting to my local Macy's. But the point is, I had to go to three different stores, and tear through racks and racks of pink and blue onesies before I found a single outfit made somewhere besides China. When you start paying attention to where the items you use were made, it becomes astounding. Just think of all the energy being wasted in shipping these mass quantities of items to our local stores.
And so, here I go. I am going to attempt to live as locally as is possible.
Step One. I am going to refrain from purchasing items made in China.
Step Two. I am not going to purchase imported food.
Baby steps, baby steps. But here she goes!

1 comment:

TZIBS said...

you can do it. i do it, and it makes me happy. do it, do it.