Sunday, June 8, 2008

Still at it

Well, I am still at it. This business of living local is harder than expected. However, it is now becoming second nature. I find myself checking the labels on everything. How far did this loaf of bread travel to this store? (yesterday, I was able to buy a loaf of bread that said "locally baked" and Jim purchased bread baked at the store the other day).
I have not purchased strawberries in long time because they were grown in California. When I start actually thinking about it, I get a little creeped out. Why would I want to eat food grown 2000 miles away that is supposed to be "fresh." It's weird. Does that mean I will never buy strawberries again? No. I am quite sure that I will. But I am aware of where they came from which is something new.
The hardest thing for me has been shoes. It is incredibly hard to find shoes that are not made in China. Its bizarre. I found one pair made in America (Munro brand) which cost me double the price of a similar pair made in China.
So, I am still at it. It is not easy. It is not necessarily convenient. It is not always fun (I gave up an adorable skirt yesterday because of its Made In China label). But its something. And if everyone did a little something for the earth, we might be able to save it.

1 comment:

Kevin and Amy said...

Well I will tell you what made me so mad the other day. We were in Babies R Us (notorious for overseas items) and saw a display for 4th of July clothes...lots of "USA Rocks!" and "I heart America!" and all that fun stuff. All red, white and blue, you know. Anyway, it was all made in China or Thailand. I couldn't get over it. The freaking 4TH OF JULY outfits are from overseas!

Also, my latest gripe is at Costco when they sell a little tiny microchip thing for your camera and it comes in a package the size of a welcome mat.